holiday-in-holland.com

  • Full Screen
  • Wide Screen
  • Narrow Screen
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Our Lord in the Attic Museum

E-mail Print PDF

Our Lord in the Attic Museum AmsterdamThe "Our Lord in the Attic" Museum (in Dutch: "Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder") is a 17th century canal house, house church, and museum in the city of Amsterdam.

The Catholic Church was built on the top three floors of the canal house during the 1660's. It is an important example of a "clandestine church," in which Catholics and other religious dissenters from the 17th century Dutch Reformed Church, unable to worship in public, held services.

The canal house on the 14th century canal Oudezijds Voorburgwal was built in 1630. Between 1661 and 1663 the top three floors of the house were changed into a house church. The building was renovated in the 18th and 19th century.

After the Church of Saint Nicholas was opened, the house church was no longer in use as a church. In the year 1888 it opened its doors for the public as a museum, making it the oldest museum in Amsterdam, after the Ryksmuseum Amsterdam. Annually about 85,000 people visit the museum.

You are here Holland Attractions Museums in Holland Our Lord in the Attic Museum